Saturday, April 2, 2011

"No Doubt" sheds some light

Had another test and it so happens that it was again with my parents. We went out to eat at a deli. I had the chicken soup which I know was not fat free nor low in sodium but I sipped the broth and ate very few noodles and a few softened crackers.I know, not good...



Also, I may be retaining fluids as that time of the month is approaching and I still only lost 5 pounds so far which is frustrating since I have severely cut my calories- even less than the recommended 1200 a day! I hope my liver is shrinking like its supposed to but of course I have no way of knowing...



Back to "eating out:" my mom ordered a burger with sweet potato fries and dad ordered a pastrami on rye. Needless to say the smells in that place were superb and the temptation was all around us.



At one point when I'd been lusting after their food what song came on the loudspeaker? "Don't Speak" by No Doubt. There's a line in there about feeling like you're losing your best friend which I think anyone who's had a love affair with food all of their lives can attest to when it is severely restricted via weight loss surgery or not.



Definitely a mind game that we play and have to become good at in order to be sucessful. I saw on a banding forum I belong to that studies have come out on long term (approximately ten to fourteen years ago) results of banding not being sucessful. It said: people have since had to take them out; they fail to keep the weight off; their comorbidities return (hypertension, diabetes, etc.;) the bands erode, get embedded or slip, etc. I'm convinced that these negative results occured in people that expected the band to work for them, not the other way around.



Hopefully there's more support out there now. In my opinion, ten-fourteen years is not a long enough study. Since banding started, there have been strides made in how the bands have been placed, doctors have been more accesible and people have made more of a mental connection to what really happened to their bodies and how they need to constantly work at it in order for them to be sucessful.



Hopefully the benefits have outweighed the problems for the majority of people whom banding HAS worked for. I intend on being one of them!


Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment