Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Time has come!

What an experience yesterday and it is not over! I had my surgery at about 9AM and my parents waited for me from before 7AM when we got there. I remember washing up, getting changed into a robe, being weighed (I lost a total of 12 pounds on liquids-Yeah!)This was before being hooked up to an IV, meeting with the doctor, the physician's assistant, the nurse, the anethesiologist, and my parents before being wheeled into the operating room. I was told to get onto the operating table, took a few deep breaths as per the anethesiologist and don't remember much in between the period between recovery and my room.




I was lucky enough to get a private room which I was very happy for as I got a "visit from my monthy friend" and had to use the bathroom a lot more than usual.




When I was told that my incisions were not bad I still couldn't look. The "trauma" (though it really hasn't been traumatic at all) of my first stay in a hospital was very real and the less I had to remind me, the better. I did, however, look at them later and was impressed that my doctor was able to go through just one incision (as I requested) by my belly button and two other smaller incisions for the needle, scope and I guess where the gas to expand my abdominal cavity, but I'm not sure. Just grateful that the large incision will be masked by my belly button as I hate the way I tend to scar.



I'm using my breathing machine, walking and had my barium swallowing x-ray (which was plesant except for the radiologist yelling at me to sip and swallow! I meant to ask his assistant if he was always like that but didn't bother.) That process cleared me for clear liquids where as I'd been just on ice chips all of yesterday after my procedure.




I am sipping my ounce of liquids over a 15 minute period and trying sugar free ices, water and tea. This has to go on through tomorrow. Ok, not loving it but it is one more step towards food again. I'm still shocked that I haven't craved chocolate during my liquid phase. However, I'm not shocked now as my pains are still prevalent and I have to force even these sips of liquids...




I'm also waiting for my parents to come get me and thank God for them!




I'm curious as to what have been other's experiences right after and the day after?




More on recovery later.


Sue

2 comments:

  1. Glad that its all over for you, sounds like it went ok.
    My surgery was a year ago, I remember being sore, being confused as I had no gas pains but having the most awful nausea. 5 days out and I felt pretty good.
    Wishing you a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the well wishes Alison!

    ReplyDelete