Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"Last Full Meals" weekend...

OK, to summerize my weekend of  "last full meals" before the Lap Band placement. I thought I was going to go all out and have the biggest Cheescake Factory meal followed by the most decadent slice of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. Instead, I had Indian buffet on Saturday and on Sunday I had skewers of Angus beef then SHARED a slice of the cheesecake with my Mom at Fridays. In my mind of course, thought I could say I was just getting these urges "out of the way" and yet mentally I barely went up two times for the buffet when previously I know I could have gone at least 3 times and then had tea AND a dessert. Even at Fridays, I couldn't eat the whole meal and took most of it home. I think a lot of it is mental but I actually started taking my time to eat a while ago and I believe my appitite has dimmed since I was put on Byetta for diabetes. Hence I did lose about 12 pounds in the last couple of months.

These are urges that I hope going forward I'll just not have or find something else to do when I do get them. I think I'm on my way since I have been cutting down what I eat when I go out anyway. Eating out has been such a part of my life and this will also just help me to cook more at home.

I know it won't happen probably for months but I can't wait to get to go to Cheesecake Factory again as I will be looking that gosh awful (in a good and fattening way) menu making HEALTHIER choices and the usual three serving portions (even with the healthier items) will turn out to be at least six. Even more food bang for the buck.

I'd love to hear other people's experience with their "last meals" before proceedure. What did you do? How long did it take you to get back to eating solids? What was your first "full meal" post op?

Sue

1 comment:

  1. I did the same thing - thought about, planned, and obsessed over my "last meal" but I swear to you - you will be able to eat again! I can eat anything and I enjoy food so much more now. With that said, my "last meal" before I started the liquid diet was Mexican food - chips, guacamole, salsa, chimichanga, and fried ice cream. I am honestly a little nauseated thinking about how much I ate that night. I was on liquids for 2 weeks after surgery, then a week of mushies. My first mushy meal after banding was also Mexican - a spoonful of refried beans and a spoonful of guacamole. My first "real" meal was at Legal Seafood - the kids' meal baked fish and mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete